Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Mismatch

Jessica got her ears pierced last spring. It wasn't the best experience, given her complete intolerance of any kind of pain. Since then she has refused to let me change her earrings. She doesn't even want me to touch her ears.

I tried a bunch of things. I bought her cute new earrings for her birthday. Every time I see a friend with pretty earrings, I point it out. I told her she could wear my earrings. When she went to the doctor for her annual check-up I asked if she would allow the doctor to take them out. The doctor lobbied on my behalf.

No. No. No. No.

Last week, while overenthusastically drying her hair after a bath, I actually pulled (accidentally, I swear) one of the earrings out. I was going to put the starter earring (which of course she's still wearing since she hasn't changed them) back in but I felt the tip and of course it was very sharp. I was afraid if I tried to put it back in, it would hurt a lot. Since I was wearing 5 earrings at the time, I put on one of my earrings, with much duller points.

Putting earrings in someone else's ear is not as easy as it might seem. Especially when that person has never had earrings put in (other than the initial piercing). I fumbled a little and it hurt her a little but she admitted it didn't hurt *that* much.

So, then she was wearing one pink earring (starter) and one blue one (mine). She swore when we got home she would let me take both out and put in one of the pairs I got her for her birthday. One's butterflies, one is flowers. Come on, what 7 year old girl could resist that?

Mine, apparently. I have tried several times since then to change the earrings. No go. She told me how when I put in the other earring "It was killing me," which was a far cry from what she had told me at the time.

Finally, I took one of the butterfly earrings and put it in my ear. Hey, someone might as well wear it.

She now informs me that she won't change her earrings till she turns 8. I seem to remember a similar promise last spring about how she would change her earrings when she turned 7.

At this point, I'm not going to be surprised if she's still wearing 2 different earrings on her wedding day.

No comments:

Post a Comment