Wednesday, June 8, 2011

"What I always wanted"

Last Friday was the bridging ceremony for Jessica, when she bridged from being a Daisy to being a Brownie. It was held along with a barbeque, so we picked Xander up from preschool and went straight to the bbq site.

Hari went and got Xander from school while Jessica and I waited in the car. When Xander got to the car and saw us, he was really happy. He's usually pretty happy when I pick him up, so I thought that was why.

Then he said, "This is what I always wanted." I wasn't really sure what he was talking about. I just smiled at him and nodded, which I usually do when I don't know what he's talking about.

A few minutes later, he said it again, "This is what I always wanted." So I asked him what he meant.

"You and Daddy picked me up."

And then I knew what he was talking about. One of his school friends apparently always gets picked up by both his mother and his father. Xander's always asking if both of us can pick him up at the same time. I explained that usually that wasn't convenient.

So, even though I hadn't planned it, by picking him up en route to the bridging ceremony, we had given him what he always wanted. If only I could always give him what he wanted so easily.

1 comment: