Friday, March 16, 2012

Snacktime

When I picked up Xander from preschool today, he whispered "Can I eat this?"

I asked him what "this" was. He showed me a jelly bean. I said yes. It was just a jelly bean.

When we got home, I saw he had a handful of jelly beans. I thought he just had one.  "How many jelly beans do you have?" I asked.

"What? Xander has jelly beans?" asked Jessica, who, heretofore, had her nose buried in a book.

"Xander, give her some jelly beans," I said.

"Where did he get them?"

"School," I said, assuming that was where he had gotten them.

"No, I didn't," Xander piped up.

"Well, where did you get them from?"

He shrugged. I asked again.

"Well, I put on my coat and there they were," he said. I remembered that the fleece jacket he was wearing he hadn't worn in a while.

"Xander, how old are those?" I asked, understanding the situation now.

He shrugged.

I didn't let him eat any more but he seems to be none the worse for wear.

I subsequently remembered that I had bought him jelly beans last weekend (which seems like forever ago to me) when we went to the movie. I don't exactly remember that he was wearing the green fleece jacket, but that's the explanation I'm going with.

* * *
From a Facebook status a few days ago:

Jessica and Xander playing:
Xander: "Mom! We need an umbrella."
Jessica (as Mom): "No, we don't, it hardly ever rains here."
Xander: (makes thunder noise)
Jessica: "Now we need an umbrella."

No comments:

Post a Comment